English
 
Privacy Policy Disclaimer
  Advanced SearchBrowse

Item

ITEM ACTIONSEXPORT

Released

Journal Article

Deep decarbonisation of buildings energy services through demand and supply transformations in a 1.5°C scenario

Authors
/persons/resource/Antoine.Levesque

Levesque,  Antoine
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research;

/persons/resource/Robert.Pietzcker

Pietzcker,  Robert C.
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research;

/persons/resource/lavinia.baumstark

Baumstark,  Lavinia
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research;

/persons/resource/Gunnar.Luderer

Luderer,  Gunnar
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research;

External Ressource
No external resources are shared
Fulltext (public)

accepted-manuscript.pdf
(Publisher version), 2MB

Supplementary Material (public)
There is no public supplementary material available
Citation

Levesque, A., Pietzcker, R. C., Baumstark, L., Luderer, G. (2021 online): Deep decarbonisation of buildings energy services through demand and supply transformations in a 1.5°C scenario. - Environmental Research Letters.
https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/abdf07


Cite as: https://publications.pik-potsdam.de/pubman/item/item_25278
Abstract
Buildings energy consumption is one of the most important contributors to GHG emissions worldwide, responsible for 23% of energy-related CO2 emissions. Decarbonising buildings energy demand will pass through two types of strategies: first through an overall reduction of energy demand, that could to some extent be reaped at negative costs; and second through a reduction of the carbon content of energy via fuel switching and supply side decarbonisation. This study assesses the contributions of each of these strategies for the decarbonisation of the buildings sector in line with a 1.5°C global warming. We show that in a 1.5°C scenario combining mitigation policies and a reduction of market failures in efficiency markets, 81% of the reductions in buildings emissions are achieved through the reduction of the carbon content of energy, while the remaining 19% are due to efficiency improvements which reduce energy demand by 31%. Without supply side decarbonisation, efficiency improvements almost entirely suppress the doubling of emissions that would otherwise be expected, but fail to induce an absolute decline in emissions. Our modelling and scenarios show the impact of both climate change mitigation policies and of the alleviation of market failures pervading through energy efficiency markets. The results show that the reduction of the carbon content of energy through fuel switching and supply-side decarbonisation is of paramount importance for the decarbonisation of buildings.